Population Health Sciences
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health
677 Huntington Ave., Kresge 911P
Boston, MA 02115
Susanna is a PhD student in the Population Health Sciences Program, focusing on epidemiology. She studies reproductive epidemiology, including both pregnancy and postpartum maternal health. Her research specifically focuses on the reproductive and cardiometabolic health effects of exposures to chemicals found in consumer products, with an emphasis on identifying sources of exposure and highly exposed groups. She is also interested in the role of the placenta in pregnancy and maternal health; her work with the GRAPE team has been focused on psychosocial and metabolomic predictors of placental abruption.
- Mitro SD, Sanchez SE, Palomino H, Gelaye B, Williams MA. Childhood abuse, intimate partner violence, and placental abruption among Peruvian women. Ann Epidemiol. 2018 Dec 21. pii: S1047-2797(18)30601-X. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2018.12.003. PubMed PMID: 30606468.
- Branch F, Woodruff TJ, Mitro SD, Zota AR. Vaginal douching and racial/ethnic disparities in phthalates exposures among reproductive-aged women: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2001-2004. Environmental Health2015;14(1):47. doi: 10.1186/s12940-015-0043-6.
- Mitro SD, Zota AR. Vitamin D and uterine leiomyoma among a sample of US women: Findings from NHANES, 2001-2006. Reproductive Toxicology 2015. doi: 10.1016/j.reprotox.2015.05.013
- Mitro SD, Johnson TJ, Zota AR. Cumulative chemical exposures during pregnancy and early development. Current Environmental Health Reports 2015. doi: 10.1007/s40572-015-0064-x
- Mitro SD, Birnbaum LS, Needham BL, Zota AR. Cross-sectional associations between exposure to persistent organic pollutants and leukocyte telomere length among US adults in NHANES, 2001-2002. Environmental Health Perspectives2016. doi: 10.1289/ehp.1510187
- Zota AR, Phillips CA, Mitro SD. Recent fast food consumption and Bisphenol A and phthalates exposures among the U.S. population in NHANES, 2003-2010. Environmental Health Perspectives 2016: 124(10):1521-8. doi: 10.1289/ehp.1510803.
- Mitro SD, Harlow SD, Randolph JF, et al. Chronic vulvar pain in a cohort of post-menopausal women: Atrophy or Vulvodynia? Women’s Midlife Health 2016:2(4). doi: 10.1186/s40695-016-0017-z.
- Mitro SD, Dodson RE, Singla V, et al. Consumer product chemicals in indoor dust: a quantitative meta-analysis of U.S. studies. Environmental Science & Technology 2016;50(19):10661-10672. doi:10.1021/acs.est.6b02023.
- Zota AR, Singla V, Adamkiewicz G, Mitro SD, Dodson RE. Reducing chemical exposures at home: opportunities for action. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health 2017;71(9):937-940. doi: 10.1136/jech-2016-208676.
- Zota AR, Mitro SD, Robinson JF, Hamilton EG, Parry E, Park JS, Zoeller RT, Woodruff TJ. Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and hydroxylated PBDE metabolites (OH-PBDEs) in maternal and fetal tissues, and associations with fetal cytochrome P450 gene expression. Environment International 2018;112:269-278. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2017.12.030
- Mitro SD, Chu MT, Dodson RE, Adamkiewicz G, Chie L, Brown FM, James-Todd TM. Phthalate metabolite exposures among immigrants living in the United States: Findings from NHANES, 1999-2014. Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology 2018 [epub ahead of print]. doi: 10.1038/s41370-018-0029-x