Former Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Department of Epidemiology, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health
My research focuses on cardiovascular effects associated with environmental exposure to metals during susceptible stages of life such as early childhood and pregnancy. Children are a high-risk group as regards the health effects of water contaminants and some studies suggest that early exposure during childhood can play an important role in the development of chronic diseases in adulthood. During my PhD, I was involved in a cross-sectional study with children exposed to arsenic through drinking water and cardiovascular effects such as intima media thickness increase, blood pressure increase and cardiac hypertrophy measured by echocardiography. Currently, I’m working with OMEGA Study cohort focused on maternal exposure to cadmium and blood pressure increase during the first, second and third trimester of pregnancy.
- Osorio-Yáñez C, Gelaye B, Enquobahrie DA, Qiu C, Williams MA. Dietary intake and urinary metals among pregnant women in the Pacific Northwest. Environ Pollut. 2018 Feb 10;236:680-688. PubMed PMID: 29438954.
- Osorio-Yáñez C, Gelaye B, Qiu C, Bao W, Cardenas A, Enquobahrie DA, Williams MA. Maternal intake of fried foods and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus. Ann Epidemiol. 2017 Jun;27(6):384-390.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2017.05.006. Epub 2017 May 12. PubMed PMID: 28641758.
- Osorio-Yáñez C, Qiu C, Gelaye B, Enquobahrie DA, Williams MA. Risk of gestational diabetes mellitus in relation to maternal dietary calcium intake. Public Health Nutr. 2016 Dec 14:1-8. PubMed PMID: 27964774.
- Cárdenas-González M, Osorio-Yáñez C, Gaspar-Ramírez O, Pavković M, Ochoa-Martínez A, López-Ventura D, Medeiros M, Barbier OC, Pérez-Maldonado IN, Sabbisetti VS, Bonventre JV, Vaidya VS. Environmental exposure to arsenic and chromium in children is associated with kidney injury molecule-1. Environ Res. 2016 Oct;150:653-62. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2016.06.032. Epub 2016 Jul 15. PubMed
- Osorio-Yañez C, Gelaye B, Miller RS, Enquobahrie DA, Baccarelli AA, Qiu C, Williams MA. Associations of Maternal Urinary Cadmium with Trimester-Specific Blood Pressure in Pregnancy: Role of Dietary Intake of Micronutrients. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2016 Apr 29. PubMed
- Osorio-Yáñez C, Ayllon-Vergara JC, Arreola-Mendoza L, Aguilar-Madrid G, Hernández-Castellanos E, Sánchez-Peña LC, Del Razo LM. Blood Pressure, Left Ventricular Geometry, and Systolic Function in Children Exposed to Inorganic Arsenic. Environmental Health Perspectives 2015. PubMed
- Osorio-Yáñez C, Ayllon-Vergara JC, Aguilar-Madrid G, Arreola-Mendoza L, Hernández-Castellanos E, Barrera-Hernández A, De Vizcaya-Ruíz A, Del Razo LM. Carotid intima-media thickness and plasma asymmetric dimethylarginine in Mexican children exposed to inorganic arsenic. Environmental Health Perspectives 2013; 121(9):1090-6. PubMed