Principal Data Scientist
50 Commercial Street, 3R
Manchester, NH 03101
Having degrees in both Medicine and Economics and pursuing a degree in Epidemiology, I am trying to integrate my knowledge in medicine and social science into epidemiologic research to improve women’s health. My primary research interest is in reproductive and perinatal epidemiology. I have been involved in studies of HIV prevention among under-served population and evaluation of maternal anemia’s influence on perinatal outcomes. My most recent interest is addressing intimate partner violence and childhood abuse against women and their influences on women’s physical and mental health. Another area of interest is exploring the psychometric properties of screening tools for mood disorders. I am applying both classic test theory and contemporary test theory to validate those tools among pregnant women.
- Zhong QY, Mittal LP, Nathan MD, Brown KM, Knudson González D, Cai T, Finan S, Gelaye B, Avillach P, Smoller JW, Karlson EW, Cai T, Williams MA. Use of natural language processing in electronic medical records to identify pregnant women with suicidal behavior: towards a solution to the complex classification problem. Eur J Epidemiol. 2018 Dec 10. doi: 10.1007/s10654-018-0470-0. PubMed PMID: 30535584.
- Zhong QY, Karlson EW, Gelaye B, Finan S, Avillach P, Smoller JW, Cai T, Williams MA. Screening pregnant women for suicidal behavior in electronic medical records: diagnostic codes vs. clinical notes processed by natural language processing. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2018 May 29;18(1):30. PubMed PMID: 29843698.
- Zhong QY, Gelaye B, Fricchione GL, Avillach P, Karlson EW, Williams MA. Adverse obstetric and neonatal outcomes complicated by psychosis among pregnant women in the United States. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018 May 2;18(1):120. PubMed PMID: 29720114.
- Zhong QY, Gelaye B, VanderWeele TJ, Sanchez SE, Williams MA. Causal Model of Social Support on Antepartum Depression: A Marginal Structural Modeling Approach. Am J Epidemiol. 2018 Apr 3. PubMed PMID: 29617921.
- Zhong QY, Gelaye B, Smoller JW, Avillach P, Cai T, Williams MA. Adverse obstetric outcomes during delivery hospitalizations complicated by suicidal behavior among US pregnant women. PLoS One. 2018 Feb 15;13(2):e0192943. PubMed PMID: 29447245.
- Zhong QY, Gelaye B, Fann JR, Sánchez SE, Williams MA (2014). Cross-cultural validity of the Spanish version of PHQ-9 among pregnant Peruvian women: a Rasch item response theory analysis. Journal of Affective Disorders, 158, 148-153.
- Zhong QY, Gelaye B, Rondon MB, Sánchez SE, García P, Sánchez E, Barrios YV, Simon GE, Henderson DC, Cripe SM, Williams MA (2014). Comparative performance of Patient Health Questionnaire-9 and Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale for screening antepartum depression. Journal of Affective Disorders, 162, 1-7.
- Zhong QY, Gelaye B, Rondon MB, Sánchez SE, Simon GE, Henderson DC, Barrios YV, Sánchez PM, Williams MA. Using the Patient Health Questionnaire (PHQ-9) and the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale (EPDS) to assess suicidal ideation among pregnant women in Lima, Peru (2014). Archives of Women’s Mental Health: 1-10.
- Barrios YV, Sánchez SE, Nicolaidis C, Garcia PJ, Gelaye B, Zhong QY, Williams MA (2015). Childhood abuse and early menarche among Peruvian women. Journal of Adolescent Health, 56(2), 197-202.
- Barrios YV, Gelaye B, Zhong QY, Nicolaidis C, Rondon MB, Garcia PJ, Sánchez PM, Sánchez SE, Williams MA (2015). Association of childhood physical and sexual abuse with intimate partner violence, poor general health, and depressive symptoms among pregnant women. PLoS one, 10 (1), e0116609.
- Fung J, Gelaye B, Zhong QY, Rondon MB, Sánchez SE, Barrios YV, Hevner K, Qiu CF, Williams MA (2015). Association of decreased serum Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF) concentrations in early pregnancy with antepartum depression. BMC Psychiatry, 15(1), 43.
- Zhong QY, Gelaye B, Sánchez SE, Williams MA. Psychometric properties of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index in a cohort of Peruvian pregnant women (in press). Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine 2015.
- Zhong QY, Gelaye B, Zaslavsky AM, Fann JR, Rondon MB, Sánchez SE, Williams MA. Diagnostic validity of the Generalized Anxiety Disorder-7 (GAD-7) among pregnant women (2015). PLoS one, e0125096.
- Gelaye B, Barrios YV, Zhong QY, Rondon MB, Borba CP, Sánchez SE, Henderson DC, Williams MA. Association of poor subjective sleep quality with suicidal ideation among pregnant Peruvian women (in press). General Hospital Psychiatry 2015.