- To examine the prevalence and correlates of sleep and mental health disorders among college students.
Chronic poor sleep quality and sleep disorders are widely recognized as risk factors for cardiovascular disease, a condition with increasing incidence in many middle and low income countries. The use of stimulants has increased globally over the last decade but only very few epidemiologic studies have examined the biological and lifestyle characteristics associated with use of these drinks.
Study Design and Setting
A multi-country cross-sectional study conducted among college students in four countries: Chile, Ethiopia, Peru and Thailand. Students were invited to fill out anonymous surveys that requested information on socio-demographic, lifestyle, and sleep-related factors. After students filled out the survey, they were invited for a brief physical examination during which trained research nurses took anthropometric and blood pressure measurements.
Dr. Michelle WIlliams
Dr. Bizu Gelaye
Dr. Juan Carlos Velez
Dr. Clarita Barbosa
Dr. Asterio Andrade
Dr. Yemane Berhane
Ms. Seblewengel Lemma
Dr. Sixto Sanchez
Ms. Elena Sanchez
Dr. Somrat Lertmaharit
Dr. Vitool Lohsoonthorn
Dr. Wipawan Pensuksan
Publications from this Study
- The Epidemiology of Sleep Quality and Consumption of Stimulant Beverages among Patagonian Chilean College Students. Vélez JC, Souza A, Traslaviña S, Barbosa C, Wosu A, Andrade A, Frye M, Fitzpatrick AL, Gelaye B, Williams MA. PubMed
- Sleep quality and its psychological correlates among university students in Ethiopia: a cross-sectional study. Lemma S, Gelaye B, Berhane Y, Worku A, Williams MA. PubMed
- Sleep quality and sleep patterns in relation to consumption of energy drinks, caffeinated beverages, and other stimulants among Thai college students. Lohsoonthorn V, Khidir H, Casillas G, Lertmaharit S, Tadesse MG, Pensuksan WC, Rattananupong T, Gelaye B, Williams MA. PubMed
- The Epidemiology of Sleep Quality, Sleep Patterns, Consumption of Caffeinated Beverages, and Khat Use among Ethiopian College Students. Lemma S, Patel SV, Tarekegn YA, Tadesse MG, Berhane Y, Gelaye B, Williams MA. PubMed
- Sleep Quality, Sleep Patterns and Consumption of Energy Drinks and other Caffeinated Beverages among Peruvian College Students. Sanchez S, Martinez C, Oriol R, Yanez D, Castaneda B, Sanchez E, Gelaye B, Williams M. Scientific Research
- Good Quality Sleep is Associated with Better Academic Performance among University Students in Ethiopia. Lemma S, Berhane Y, Worku A, Gelaye B, Williams MA. PubMed
- Sleep Quality and its Psychological Correlates among University Students in Ethiopia: a Cross-Sectional Study. Lemma S, Gelaye B, Berhane Y, Worku A, Williams, M. BioMed Psychiatry
- High Risk for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Relation to Hypertension among Southeast Asian Young Adults: the Role of Obesity as an Effect Modifier. Pensuksan W, Chen X, Lohsoonthorn V, Lertmaharit S, Gelaye B, Williams M.